The wait, part 1

5 Oct

Egg retrieval was yesterday. It went as well as could be expected. They got eight eggs — less than I had hoped for, but exactly the number of big follicles that were showing on the ultrasound earlier this week. The doctor made a good call to allow me to stimulate for one extra day. I hope this means that all (or the majority of) the eggs are mature.

We solved one mystery yesterday. It appears that I do in fact produce eggs out of my right ovary. We got two from the right. But it was also excruciatingly painful. The doctor seems to think that there may be some scar tissue. He said it was “tough” to penetrate. This helps explain things a little. But wow, did it ever hurt. My clinic doesn’t do general anesthetic for egg retrievals, so I had to make do with an extra dose of a painkiller narcotic.

Right now I am in the midst of the first unbearable wait. I am waiting for someone from the clinic to call and let me know how many eggs were mature and how many fertilized. Last time only one fertilized. We are hoping for much better results this time. The ideal scenario would be if five or more fertilized — then the clinic would let them go for five days (to develop into the blastocyst stage) before putting one or two back into my uterus. The super duper ideal scenario would be if we had a couple to transfer and at least two to freeze.

I am trying to think positive and stay calm, while I wait at home for the phone to ring.

EDIT: Amazing news! Five eggs fertilized. I am tentatively booked for a 5-day transfer on Sunday. But if anything changes overnight, then they will slot me in for a 3-day on Friday. I am happy, hopeful and so, so relieved!


3 Responses to “The wait, part 1”

  1. Hazel Cohen October 5, 2011 at 10:16 pm #

    I’m so happy, hopeful and relieved on your behalf! xo

  2. Janet October 11, 2011 at 8:25 am #

    Thinking of you! Thanks for the advice you left on my blog. Looks like we are going to make the switch to the OFC. How was the transfer? Did you get to do the 5 day?

    • Queer Femme Mama October 11, 2011 at 8:31 am #

      Hi! I owe the internet an update. We ended up transferring two, none to freeze in the end. It was actually a 4-day transfer. They called Saturday morning to say that there were 3 left and one wasn’t looking great. So we put two in at the morula stage, one of which had started compacting. We shall see! All of our eggs in one basket (AKA my uterus), so fingers crossed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: